Quick/easy way to add possible values for product variant caracteristics?

• Thank you received: 5
  • Hikashop Business
3 months 1 week ago #361332

-- url of the page with the problem -- : kiteoutlet.eu
-- HikaShop version -- : 5.0.4
-- Joomla version -- : 4.4.5

For the webshop I manage I have done a few large CSV imports of new products with variants to update the product range of the supplier. This works fine following the documentation for importing products with variants found here: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/7...-import.html#variant
As per the instructions, to be able to do a successful CSV import, you first need to create the characteristic and the possible values via the menu Products>Characteristics.

For my previous imports creating the characteristics and their values manually was a tedious task but not impossible. However for the latest import of products from one of the website's suppliers I will need to create a handful of new characteristics with a total of over 450 possible values. This is an enormous task to do manually, so I was hoping that there is a way to do this more easily.

If it is at all possible to create the large amount of values in a more user friendly/less labor-intensive way (for example by also uploading a CSV with all possible values, running a batch command somewhere, or editing the database using a bulk action or sql-script), please let me know!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13257
3 months 1 week ago #361333

Hi,

You can use the CSV export and import features of PHPMyAdmin to import your characteristics and their values to the hikashop_characteristic table in your database.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxworks

• Hikashop Business
3 months 1 week ago #361335

Thank you. I will give that a try!

• Hikashop Business
3 months 3 days ago #361387

Thanks again Nicholas for your answer. Exporting the hikashop_characteristic table from the MySQL database to see how the file should be formatted and then uploading the new rows to be added with the info for all the characteristics values I needed to add worked like a charm!

The only issue I ran into was that MySQL automatically escaped all " in the names for the values (used to indicate dimensions in inches) by adding an extra set of double quotation marks ("") around them. There probably is an option somewhere that I could have checked on import to prevent this but I only found out after importing. Luckily I didn't have too many values that were formatted like that, so I could easily change them back in HikShop.

Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Foxworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds