Stripe Plugin isn't logging Debug info for me

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikashop Business
1 month 3 weeks ago #362115

-- url of the page with the problem -- : braibnstyles.com
-- HikaShop version -- : 5.1.0
-- Joomla version -- : 4.4.6
-- PHP version -- : 8.1.29

We've seen a pair of orders in the past few weeks that created the hikashop order records, but apparently did not successfully communicate with Stripe. There are no payment log details on Stripe for these interactions (failed transaction messages or logs). There is also no information added to the payment log file for Hikashop, despite the Payment plugin's Debug setting being active, so we have no information about why the process stopped. The Hikashop orders remain in created status, not confirmed, and the customers were warned in the Creation email that their orders wouldn't be processed until payment was confirmed, at which time, a true invoice number would be assigned. But we have no way to identify why the stripe processing failed, either from Hikashop OR Stripe.

Since I don't know the cause of the failure or precisely when it happens, I can't confirm that users are being sent to the Cancel URL page or what it displays to them. My guess is that they are simply locking up after the Creation email is sent but before the Thank You page should be displayed. (upon a successful payment, several other processes are triggered by our own custom plugin, after the Hikashop Order Status is changed to Confirmed.)

Meanwhile, successful order payments continue to proceed normally.

Do you have any suggestions about the missing debug information? I think that would probably contain my answers.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13257
1 month 3 weeks ago #362117

Hi,

Why do you think there was an error at all ?
It could just be that the customer stopped at this step of the process.
This happens regularly on our own website.
Maybe the user finds out his credit card has just expired when he wants to use it for example.
Or maybe the user gets the email notification and thinks that the order went through for some reason and doesn't proceed with the payment. Deactivating the "order creation notification" email so that only the "order status notification" is sent after the payment can help in this case.

One nice thing to have is this plugin:
www.hikashop.com/marketplace/product/241-reminder-plugin.html
It will automatically send an email to the user after a period of time if he places an order without paying for it. That would be a good way to ask the user if he encountered a problem and if so, to ask him to provide information about the problem and offer him to help him with the problem.

• Hikashop Business
1 month 3 weeks ago #362144

Why do you think there was an error at all ?

For the user, completing the purchase is a one-step process:
  1. The customer submits the order (including their credit card information)
  2. Hikashop creates the Hikashop Order
  3. Hikashop sends the Creation Notice
  4. Hikashop contacts Stripe for payment confirmation
  5. (on success) Hikashop changes the status of the order to completed
  6. Hikashop sends the Payment Notice
  7. Hikashop triggers our custom processes
  8. Finally, the browser displays the thank you page

There's no point where the user can "decide" to halt the process (producing our symptoms) once the purchase is submitted other than to quit their browser at precisely the right instant (between 3 & 4). As a customer, I've never been able to deliberately reproduce this behavior. The fact that neither system logs the exchange between HikaShop and Stripe in these instances is most definitely a problem, and the fact that Stripe never records even being contacted at all implies that the problem happens on our end of that exchange.

If it happened during our custom processing, we'd have a confirmed order but not any of the records our plugin creates - which means that it's before step 7.
If it happened between steps 4 & 7, there should be Stripe log entries - which means that it's before step 4.
We have completed Order records and Creation Notices - which means that it's between steps 3 & 4.

Neither customer reported an issue, so I assume they either blew through an error display or saw the Thank You page (Although I'm sure how they would have gotten there without payment).

Thanks for the Reminder plugin suggestion. I will suggest it to our Client. I have worked with custom email settings from Hikashop before: Could the plugin allow us to send this notice to the admin only?

I'll test allowing customers to return to their unpaid orders and completing the process, to see if the flow works for our Client.

• Hikashop Business
1 month 3 weeks ago #362145

I think I have resolved the issue, which was primarily my own confusion. You were correct, and I am sorry for dragging the topic in the wrong direction.

We use three different Hikashop payment plugins for various clients, and I confused them. The Stripe plugin DOES use a secondary Customer Interface to collect the credit card info. The plugin I've fought with most recently is a single step for the customer ( even though the same steps are followed behind the scenes, the customer only sees a direct transfer to the thanks page unless something goes wrong.)

On this site, the customer submits their order from the Checkout Page, and the order is Created before a payment form is displayed. If they choose to abandon the purchase before payment, the Created order remains, but Stripe is never contacted at all.

I have spoken to our Client about the Reminders plugin, and we probably will proceed with that as a safeguard.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds