- Posts: 39
- Thank you received: 0
Options vs Varients: upload challenge
14 years 6 months ago #42863
by Margot
Options vs Varients: upload challenge was created by Margot
I sell photos and dont have the best internet connection. It takes forever to upload one of my 300 dpi files. I now need to make 250 photo products with files.
Each of my photos is a product and is sold as:
a jpeg file
prints in 4 different sizes
The ideal way to do this would be to create a product with the file and each of the print sizes as varients. That gives exactly the functionality I need, people can buy any one of the varients, or many of the varients, i.e the file, plus 2 prints, or just a print.
Problem is to upload the jpeg file to the varient is not possible due to my poor internet connection. Files are around 6 mb.
What I can do is ftp the files over and create products using the import function. FTP is slow, but it does not time out and I can sleep while it happens (its been running for 3 orus now). Then the products are created in a flash using the Import function - its so cool.
Problem is you cannot add a product as a varient.
Products can be added to a main product using options. But, if I do that my main product has to have a price, otherwise it has the status of a free product. When I set it up like this I do not want people to buy the main product, I want them to buy one or more of the options only.
My plan now is to attach the file to the main product (which I will autocreate). This means that my customers are forced to buy the file. They cannot just buy a print.
How can I resolve this issue?
Solution that could work using variations:
Set a product as one of the varients (as you do in options). I have noticed that internally varients are products so it should be possible somehow.
Upload the file from the server, not my pc (upload function only refers to the client pc)
Using options:
Only allow purchasing of the options, not of the main products.
Each of my photos is a product and is sold as:
a jpeg file
prints in 4 different sizes
The ideal way to do this would be to create a product with the file and each of the print sizes as varients. That gives exactly the functionality I need, people can buy any one of the varients, or many of the varients, i.e the file, plus 2 prints, or just a print.
Problem is to upload the jpeg file to the varient is not possible due to my poor internet connection. Files are around 6 mb.
What I can do is ftp the files over and create products using the import function. FTP is slow, but it does not time out and I can sleep while it happens (its been running for 3 orus now). Then the products are created in a flash using the Import function - its so cool.
Problem is you cannot add a product as a varient.
Products can be added to a main product using options. But, if I do that my main product has to have a price, otherwise it has the status of a free product. When I set it up like this I do not want people to buy the main product, I want them to buy one or more of the options only.
My plan now is to attach the file to the main product (which I will autocreate). This means that my customers are forced to buy the file. They cannot just buy a print.
How can I resolve this issue?
Solution that could work using variations:
Set a product as one of the varients (as you do in options). I have noticed that internally varients are products so it should be possible somehow.
Upload the file from the server, not my pc (upload function only refers to the client pc)
Using options:
Only allow purchasing of the options, not of the main products.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 6 months ago #42897
by Margot
Replied by Margot on topic Re: Options vs Varients: upload challenge
I think I can resolve this problem by:
- autogenerating a product for the prints from an image using varients for the different sizes
- autogenerating a product for the files with no varients or options
- linking the products for each image as 'related products'
I would still love to hear about a more elegant solution (attaching a product as a varient would be really nice) but I think this can work and will be reasonablu user friendly.
- autogenerating a product for the prints from an image using varients for the different sizes
- autogenerating a product for the files with no varients or options
- linking the products for each image as 'related products'
I would still love to hear about a more elegant solution (attaching a product as a varient would be really nice) but I think this can work and will be reasonablu user friendly.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 6 months ago #42972
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Options vs Varients: upload challenge
You can import products with their variants via CSV. You just need to have the proper format.
In that case, I encourage you to create one product like you want, and then export it. You will get a CSV file with the structure that is necessary to recreate it.
Otherwise, you can also import a small file via the interface into your products and then upload the real file over the small one via FTP in the folder media/com_hikashop/upload/safe
In that case, I encourage you to create one product like you want, and then export it. You will get a CSV file with the structure that is necessary to recreate it.
Otherwise, you can also import a small file via the interface into your products and then upload the real file over the small one via FTP in the folder media/com_hikashop/upload/safe
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 6 months ago #42982
by Margot
Replied by Margot on topic Re: Options vs Varients: upload challenge
Outstanding !!
Will give those a try. Thank you.
Will give those a try. Thank you.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds