- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
Tax Exempt Customers
- Renee.Imhoff
-
Topic Author
- Offline
I tried to follow instructions that I found in a different post regarding tax exemption, and the advice was to create tax rules for the other types of customers (individual, company without VAT) and then leave no tax rule for the one you want exempt. That didn't work for me because I couldn't see how to designate a customer to one of those categories.
So now I've tried to do this: I have two states I need to charge tax in, CA and WI. I created a tax rule for each state that applies the state tax to all customers. Then, I created another tax rule for each state, assigned the same tax category and zone as the others, but used a rate of 0% instead and set the access level to Custom: Reseller. For some reason this worked perfectly for WI, but the CA customers are all still charged CA State Tax even if they are designated as a Reseller in the user group. I set them up identically. Why does this work for one state but not another?
While I'm asking, another part of this solution would be this: Can I add a custom field, such as "Reseller Number" to the registration form, so that a user is automatically placed in the User Group "Reseller" when he or she registers? Otherwise I have to change their access on the back end every time. It'd be great if they could be placed in that group automatically when providing a reseller number upon registration.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
To exempt the Reseller from the tax rules, you have to assign the tax rules to all the groups except the Reseller in the ACL parameters in the Tax edition page.
Your configuration for CA and WI is maybe working only for one of these, because you tried the parameters in one of this zone.
To set a group when a user register, it's not possible in HikaShop, but it can maybe be achieve with another Joomla component.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Renee.Imhoff
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
Also, I have disabled the VAT check in the configuration because in the US we don't use VAT. Is that going to effect this? I only want to calculate sales tax in two state zones.
Thank you.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
You have to put the companies with VAT in a group, for example, "comp_with_vat" and apply the taxes only on this group.
When a user register set this customer to the group companies with VAT if it's a company with VAT.
You can made a plugin which control if a custom field like VAT is filled, and if it's the case, add the group "companies with VAT" to the user.
I don't think that remove the check will effect this.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Renee.Imhoff
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
How is this instruction different from what I've already done, which is to create a user group (in my case, Reseller), and assign specific customers to it who are the exception, then apply a tax rule to the group? I do not see a choice in the user profiles to assign a user as Individual, Company with VAT, or Company without VAT. How do those groups align with users?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The custom types that you can configure in your tax rules are based on the "company" and the "vat number" fields that you can enable via the menu Display->Custom fields.I am trying to make a certain user group (which I have named "Reseller") exempt from the tax rules.
I tried to follow instructions that I found in a different post regarding tax exemption, and the advice was to create tax rules for the other types of customers (individual, company without VAT) and then leave no tax rule for the one you want exempt. That didn't work for me because I couldn't see how to designate a customer to one of those categories.
If a name is entered in the "company" field, the user will be regarded as a company, with or without VAT number based on the vat number field. and if the company field is empty, the user will be regarded as individual.
So it's really simple to setup.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.